Gemmell on managing email
August 06, 2012
I like this post by Matt Gemmell on how to manage your email.
He describes pretty much what I’ve been doing for the last few years.
I’m not as good as I should be about replying quickly to the people who do matter, but I’m considerably better than I used to be since I started being more ruthless about the others.
The only thing I’d add to Matt’s suggestions is to do the following:
- make a group in Address Book / Contacts
- add the important people to it
- make a new Smart Mailbox that just shows mail from people in this group
- change Mail’s badge to show the unread count from this mailbox
- change Mail’s notification sound to only fire for this mailbox
- reduce the frequency that it checks mail - does it really matter if you don’t get it for another half an hour?